Isn’t it great when you can make a good, filling breakfast without taking up half of your morning? This vegan frittata is totally satisfying and really easy to put together. The best part? It keeps well in the fridge for days so you could make this Sunday and enjoy it throughout the week.
The special ingredient that sends this dish to another level is kala namak, a sulfur containing salt that adds an eggy taste and smell to the tofu.
You can find kala namak in some specialty grocery stores or amazon, here.
This recipe will still taste amazing without it, but having some kala namak on hand is an essential when recreating vegan egg dishes. It is highly concentrated, so you only need a tiny bit each time you use it. I always keep some in my spice cabinet.
To get this frittata made and on your plate, first we blend the tofu with a little bit of plant milk or water, just enough to get it blended smooth. Then we sauté the onion in a nonstick skillet with the spinach.
After that, it’s a matter of throwing it all together. The onion/spinach, blended tofu, sun-dried tomatoes, and spices go in a bowl to combine, then just pour it in a tart pan. Bake at 350 F for about 30-35 minutes and you’re all done! Easy, peasy.
Depending on your oven, your cooking time may be less or more than mine.
Once cooked, slice into triangles and plate. Top with desired toppings. I went with chopped parsley and a simple tomato salsa that consisted of diced tomatoes, lemon, green onion, and salt. It was super yummy!
Easy to make vegan spinach and sun-dried tomato frittata! Vegan breakfast at its finest.
- For the Frittata:
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 block of medium or firm tofu (plus 1/2 a cup or so of plant milk to ease blending of tofu)
- 1/2 tsp kala namak
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon each of salt + pepper
- For the Quick Tomato Salsa:
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch green onion
- 1/2 lemon
- Other Toppings:
- chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- For the Tomato Salsa: Chop tomatoes and green onion. Add to a bowl and squeeze lemon on top. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Frittata: In a nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add chopped onion. Stir and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach to skillet and heat throughout.
- To a blender, add tofu and just enough plant milk to make it blend until smooth. Add kala namak and s+p and blend again to incorporate.
- Pour tofu in a mixing bowl and add the onion/spinach mixture along with the red pepper flakes and mix with a spoon until completely combined.
- Pour mixture into a tart pan that has been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes. Because cooking times differ depending on your oven, check on the frittata after 25 minutes and assess. If it looks wet and doesn’t have a firm top, put back in oven for another 10 minutes.
- When done, slice and place on plate. Top with quick tomato salsa and chopped parsley or other desired toppings. A good, vegan sour cream would go great here!
- Category: Breakfast