Everyone needs a good chocolate chip cookie recipe on hand for when those chocolate cravings hit. This recipe makes the perfect bakery style rustic cookies. It’s also vegan, gluten free, baking soda/powder free (imagine that!), refined sugar free (except for the chocolate chips depending on which brand you use), super simply to make, and tastes seriously amazing!
We keep things healthy-ish here by:
- Replacing all-purpose flour with ground oats,
- Adding in flaxseeds for a nutritional kick (it’s also the binding ingredient for these cookies),
- Replacing sugar with maple syrup, and
- Using cacao butter and almond butter instead of oil or traditional butter
Something you may notice in the ingredients list is what is seemingly missing: bakings soda and/or baking powder. Almost every cookie recipe out there has either one or both of these and I wanted to show that you can make beautiful and super delicious cookies without adding them. The flaxseed in this recipe creates the perfect light texture crumb and leavens beautifully without needing the addition of baking soda or bakings powder.
Only one bowl is needed to make these cookies. Yay for less clean up afterwards!
To get started on the easiest recipe ever:
- First, simply add dry ingredients and whisk (whisking the dry ingredients first is not completely necessary, but it will enhance the texture and delicacy of the cookies.)
- Second, add in all of the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated completely.
- Third, but most certainly not least, throw in all of that yummy chocolatey chip goodness and mix again to incorporate.
I went with dark chocolate chunks instead of chips because they look more rustic, but chips will work just the same if you prefer them.
One of the most important things to get right when making cookies (or baking any delicate deserts for that matter) is getting the temperature and cooking time right. You want them to appear slightly undone when you take them out of the oven. Because as they cool, they will cook a little more and the result will be just right cookies.
With a delicate crumbly texture, these cookies are hands down the best ever! These cookies are both vegan and gluten free.
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chunks or chips
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter, melted
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While the oven is preheating, place all of the dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Next, add the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix together until fully incorporated.
- Lastly, add the chocolate chunks or chips and mix again.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon, scoop the batter out one at a time and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart from each other to allow for some spreading. These cookies do not spread that much, but they will need a little room. (I prefer jumbo sized cookies, but you can make smaller ones if you want. Just keep in mind that you may need to take them out of the oven a minute or two sooner.)
- Bake for 9 minutes minutes. But be careful to keep an eye as cooking times can vary depending on the oven. You may need an extra minute or two depending on how hot your oven gets.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Store in room temperature for several days.
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Serving Size: 3
- Calories: 3
- Sodium: 3