In this staple mediterranean side dish that just so happens to be vegan, tomatoes are cooked down to a chunky sauce that tastes amazing with warmed pita. We keep things simple by using only a handful of ingredients, letting the flavors of the tomatoes shine.
Ingredients for this recipe are easy to find and you likely have all or most of them on hand already.
You only need the 3 base ingredients to make this recipe work:
- Olive Oil
You can tailor this recipe to your own taste by adding different flavor components to the base recipe. I added fresh oregano and chili paste. The chili paste gave a kick of heat and the oregano served as a fresh component that really brings wakes up the dish. You can use these or choose your own combinations. Other add-ins could include:
- Green Peppers
- Banana Peppers
- Fresh Basil
First, we heat a large pan over medium/high heat with EVO. Once the pan is hot, add minced garlic and cook until fragrant and starting to brown.
Next, chop up the tomatoes up into chunky pieces add the chopped tomatoes and chopped oregano to the pot. Turn heat to low/medium and let simmer until it has cooked down into a saucy mix. While cooking. give it a stir every few minutes to ensure the tomatoes don’t stick to the pan
Once the mixture has cooked down to a nice sauce, remove from heat and place in a plate. Enjoy with warm pita or straight with a spoon. This would go well with my cashew crema.
Tomato Dish will keep fresh in the fridge for 2 days.
For more saucy dip recipes, check out my Baba Ganoush. It’s one of my all time favorites and the flavors go well with this dish if making for a crowd.Print
Quick and easy mediterranian tomato dish is a go-to comfort dish that’s vegan, low in calories, full of antioxidants from the tomatoes and healthy powerhouse ingredient garlic.
- 2 tbsp EVO
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb tomatoes (or about 6 large tomatoes or 11 Roma)
- 2 – 3 sprigs of fresh oregano (optional)
- 1 tsp chili paste (optional)
- Heat a large pan over medium/high heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add garlic and stir until fragrant and beginning to brown.
- If adding Oregano and chili paste, do so now.
- Chop tomatoes into cubes and add to pan. Give the pan a good stir and reduce the heat to medium/low. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until reduced down to a chunky sauce.
- Serve immediately with warm pita.