This easy cashew crema goes well on almost anything and has become a staple item that I keep on hand ready to go. It’s simple to put together and only requires 4 ingredients, including water!
The base of this crema is cashews. We then add lemon, a little salt, and a few tablespoons of water to ensure the mix blends smoothly together.
The key to a good crema is a good fat content, and of course a creamy consistency similar to sour cream but slightly thinner and saucier.
We start this crema by soaking raw cashews in hot water for about 20 minutes. Soaking will soften the cashews up so that they blend easier and more smoothly.
After soaking, simply drain the water from the cashews and add the cashews to a high powered blender. Next squeeze in a full lemon and a couple tablespoons of water. Then just blend until smooth which may take a minute or two depending on the speed of your blender.
All done! You can enjoy cashew crema with things like:
If desired, you can customize cashew crema with different flavors to go with different things.
Add-ins and Customizations Ideas:
- Instead of lemon, add tablespoon or two of maple syrup for sweeter dishes like a bowl of oatmeal or cream of wheat or to use as a dip for strawberries
- In addition to lemon, add a dash of citric acid for an extra tarty kick. This would work well for Mexican-inspired dishes like tacos.
If you make this crema, let me know how it goes. I’m sure it’ll be a hit!Print
Easiest vegan cashew crema sauce that is versatile and customizable.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp sea salt (I used Himalayan sea salt)
- 2 – 3 tbsp water
- Soak cashews in hot, almost boiling water for roughly 20 minutes or until cashews have softened.
- To a blender, add cashews, juice of whole lemon, sea salt, and water.
- Cover with lid and blend on medium to high for 1-2 minutes or until completely blended smooth.
- Store cashew crema in a sealed container in the fridge for at least 4 days and freeze for even longer storage.