Delicious crispy tofu that tastes unbelievably crispy for an oil-free, baked tofu. This meal is simple to make and tastes like. comfort food.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz jar of Plum sauce (or desired sauce/gravy)
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, such as Miyoko’s or Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Meanwhile, heat a pot of water to boil and add potatoes.
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare the tofu. Drain excess water from package and remove tofu. Place onto a clean surface and wrap in paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Starting sideways, cut the tofu in half. You will now have two thinner blocks of tofu. Then cut each half into cubes or slice them sideways similar to the photos above. Dry with paper towels once more to make sure we get out as much of the moisture as we can. Since we do not press the tofu for this recipe, the paper towl method is essential to get that final crispy crust.
- To a large ziplock bag, add in the cornstarch and 1/2 tsp salt. Place the tofu inside the bag and secure it shut. Give it a good shake and make sure each piece is coated with the cornstarch mixture.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, arrange tofu slices to where none of the pieces touch. This will also help with crispiness.
- Place in preheated oven and set your timer for 25 minutes.
- For the mashed potatoes: Once the potatoes are fork tender, remove from heat and drain.
- In a large bowl, add the potatoes and start mashing with a fork or potato masher. I prefer using a fork because it helps to prevent over-mashing. When potatoes are over-mashed, you get gluey or gummy texture, and it won’t taste good.
- Once potatoes are mashed enough, add the butter, milk, and s+p to taste. Set aside until ready to use.
- When the timer is up, remove tofu from oven.
- To plate: place mashed potatoes first, top with crispy tofu, and drizzle plum sauce or other desired sauce on top.
- Mashed potatoes and crispy will keep in the fridge for 2 days. Be sure to store separately.