Hi, everyone! Do you have an event coming up and need to make an appetizer that will WOW guests? I have the perfect recipe that is guaranteed to impress anyone you serve it to, vegan and non-vegans alike!
First, you simmer dried apricots and mission figs in a balsamic vinegar and water mixture for about 20 minutes. This gets them nice and plump! Then, you drain and allow them to cool for about 20 minutes. You can do other things at this time or prepare the filling station.
Once cooled, it is time to proceed with filling them with a homemade cream cheese! Recipe for that, here To make this dish presentation worthy of even the most critical of critics, we then crush pistachios finely and sprinkle them all over for a delicate and delicious appetizer dish.
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 10 dried apricots
- 10 dried mission figs (or other type preferred)
- 1/3–2/3 cup homemade vegan cream cheese*
- 1/4 cup pistachios (for topping)
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring water and balsamic vinegar to a light simmer on medium/high heat. Add the apricots and figs. Lower heat to medium low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until tender and slightly more plump. Drain and set aside to cool down enough to handle comfortably. Fill a piping bag with the cream cheese we made earlier and secure tightly. Poke a small hole into the side of each apricot with a chopstick or similar sized stick that is sharp enough to break through the skin. Repeat with the figs, but instead of the side, poke the hole on the top end. Be sure to move the chopstick around a little on the inside so that you make room for the filling to go in.
- Now simply place the end of the piping bag into each hole and push the cream cheese filling through until it slightly spills outwards.
- That’s it! Now you can sprinkle with the crushed pistachios and devour these lovely little critters! If you aren’t keen on pistachios, or do not have them on hand, a great substitute would be crushed walnuts. Or, to be nut-free, try smashing some dry pita chips! They will still have the crunch factor and presentation that the pistachios serve but will provide guests who may be allergic an option to enjoy them, too!
- Category: Appetizer