I have been brainstorming on a healthy take on holiday candies and finally discovered something that is super delicious and quite nutritious!
Chickpeas covered in a dark chocolate coating! We start with a can of chickpeas (organic for most nutritional benefits), arranged on a baking sheet after being rinsed and drained. Then we baked them at 350 degrees until crispy and somewhat dried out.
Chickpeas have numerous health benefits and are high in good-for-you plant protein!
As the crispy chickpeas cool down, melt your chocolate! Now, if you have your double broiler, go ahead and melt it in that now. Otherwise, use my method of simply placing a pyrex dish over a small saucepan filled half way with water. Place on medium heat, when water starts to simmer your chocolate will begin to melt. Keep a wooden spoon nearby so that you can mix as the chocolate melts. Like so:
For this recipe, I used a mix of dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. Because of dark chocolate’s strong source of antioxidants in the form of flavonoids and polyphenols, I like to use it when I can in chocolate inspired recipes. In some studies, it contained more antioxidants than blueberries! (Source) It is also rich in phytochemicals, which can aid in preventing chronic diseases and cancer. (Source)
Now, lets get to baking these cute little babies!
Make sure to have a vegan dark baking chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and chickpeas on hand. That’s basically all you will need to make these.
For the chocolate, EnjoyLife brand is easy to find in most areas. Just make sure that it is at least 70% cacao to ensure you’re getting the health benefits from the chocolate!
For the chickpeas, you can use canned or dry beans, soaked first. This time I used dry beans because I had a big bunch already pre-soaked. But I have tried it with canned and it works just the same.
Super scrumptious vegan chocolate covered crispy chickpeas will be sure to delight the conscience candy lover! Easy to put together and requires only a few ingredients.
- 2 1/2 cups or 1 can of chickpeas
- Coconut oil spray (for crisping)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate (1/2 cup dark chocolate and 1/2 cup semi-sweet)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas well.
- Place chickpeas on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Lightly spray chickpeas with oil. You can skip the spray oil, but it really does help the chickpeas crispy up nicely.
- Set timer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove and flip chickpeas. Put back in oven for another 10-15 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While cooling, heat your chocolate for coating. If using a double broiler, follow instructions. If not, then simply heat a small saucepan with 2 cups of water until boiling. Get a pyrex dish large enough to sit on top of saucepan and place on top.
- Add chocolate to dish. As the chocolate begins to melt, stir frequently with a wooden spoon.
- When the chocolate is melted throughout, remove from heat.
- Working quickly and in small batches, roll each chickpea in the chocolate until fully coated. Place back on sheet pan.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set and harden or place in freezer for faster setting time.
- Keep these chickpeas in the fridge for several days or freezer for longer times.
- Cuisine: desert