Jackfruit has become so widely popular among the vegan community that restaurants have started offering everything from jackfruit tacos to the beloved BBQ jackfruit sandwich. But something I have noticed is that the jackfruit offered in restaurants often lacks a flavor component.
To flavorless jackfruit, we say no! There is a much tastier w ay to enjoy this hearty fruit. And it’s super simple and easy to whip up a batch of yummy barbecue jackfruit on a whim!
Jackfruit is super versatile and can take on almost any flavor combo your little heart desires! Here we are going to make the classing barbecue sandwich. I’ll be exploring other methods in later posts, so stay tuned for more jackfruit recipes!
Two keys to jackfruit success: Marinating and shredding!
It is as quick as whisking your marinade and throwing the jackfruit in a bowl to soak up the flavors and become a little more tender in consistency. Easy. Simple. Perfect!
Start with one can of young green jackfruit. Drain the liquids and add the jackfruit to a medium sized bowl.
After mixing marinade ingredients, pour over jackfruit and cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel.
Now you can leave it to marinate on your kitchen counter for one hour or longer. The longer it marinates, the juicier and more flavorful!
Below I share some of my favorite flavor combos to marinate jackfruit in. But, you can adjust according to your taste, the possibilities are endless!
These sandwiches would go great with my vegan potato salad, dressed up vegan hotdogs, and sweet peach iced tea! Let me know if you try them out!
Let me know if you tried this quick and easy recipe in the comments!
Xoxo, Hannah 🌱
- Barbecue Jackfruit:
- 1 can of young green jackfruit
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of EVO
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Two large vegan-friendly buns, or 4 small
- Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 tsp paprika
- (or store bought vegan-friendly sauce. Annie’s is my favorite!)
- Broccoli Slaw:
- 1 bag of Trader Joe’s Broccoli slaw (or other brand)
- 2 TBSP vegan mayo (such as Just Mayo brand)
- 1/2 tsp spicy mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP Maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and discard liquid in can of jackfruit. Add jackfruit to bowl.
- Make the BBQ sauce: mix all spices in a small bowl. Slowly add warm water while whisking until you get a nice, pourable sauce.
- Pour barbecue sauce over the jackfruit and cover. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the broccoli slaw. Mix all wet ingredients in a small bowl. Add broccoli slaw and mix to coat well. Keep in fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Spray to coat pan with coconut oil or avocado oil cooking spray.
- Add jackfruit and cook until tender about 15 minutes. Take two forks and shred pieces in the pan to resemble “pulled” meat.
- When jackfruit appears to be tender and cooked throughout, remove from heat and add to bowl.
- To the bowl, add more barbecue sauce to taste. (I like mine super saucy.)
- Heat two burger buns and spoon generous portions of barbecue jackfruit on each sandwich. Top with broccoli slaw.